Friday, June 15, 2012

Life after the dissertation

Today I tuned in all the final paperwork for my dissertation.  It is surreal that I no longer have this thing hanging over my head.  I keep imagining how perfectly fabulous life will be after dissertation (AD). But, life wasn't perfect before the dissertation and it sure won't be perfect now.  But, I am able to live in the moment, take on smaller projects and focus on my family and my health.

I've gone out walking with my new stroller both yesterday and today.  MAN, am I out of shape.  Just trekking across the UW campus yesterday made my calves burn.  Today, I pushed O about a mile to the library and was feeling like I actually got a workout from it.  I gotta go easy on myself.  Part of me wants to sign up for a half marathon right away to kick my butt in gear.  But, another part of me is advocating for a smaller goal.

I managed to hop on the scale today and there wasn't any change. Actually, my the first weigh in showed me down a whole pound, but then I moved the scale and found a place where I can weigh myself every week. 

Small Change #2 Check In:
I have actually been able to eat some fruits or veggies at every meal.  Last night this just meant taking a few bites of watermelon, but hell - I'll take that.  Adding fruits to my meals and cutting out the snacks has really helped me to eat healthier and less during the day.  Today I made the mistake of going out with O right before lunch. I was starving by the time we got back to the car.  I was even thinking of stopping at McDonalds.  When I got home I ate more than I needed to, but it was mostly healthy.  I'm thinking small change #3 might have to do with meal planning...

No comments:

Post a Comment